Fats are essential and major macronutrients for our body. They have got both structural and metabolic functions in the human body. These facts constitute an important part of our daily diet. So you need to know saturated fat and unsaturated fat.
Fats are organic compounds.They are mainly composed of "Carbon" and "Hydrogen".On the basis of number of bonds between carbons,fats classified as-
Here in this article, you will get to know about foods containing fats and their impact on your health.
From the chemical point of view, saturated fats are those who do not have a double bond between two structural adjacent carbon molecules.
★Foods Containing Saturated Fat:
From animal sources, we get the majority of saturated fats. Examples-
- Beef Meat
- Poultry with skin
Apart from all these animal sources, some plant-based oils also contain saturated fat. They are-
- Coconut oil.
- Palm oil.
You need to know what is visceral fat and how to lose visceral fat.
Saturated fat, Cholesterol, and effect on our health:
HDL, LDL, VLDL. Mainly we find these 3 types of cholesterol binding lipoproteins in our body. And among them, LDL & VLDL are called “Bad cholesterols”. That is because of their harmful effect on our health.
Well, consuming foods that contain saturated fat increases the level of LDL & VLDL in our blood.
As a result, many cardiac, liver & renal diseases may arise.
So, these saturated foods are indeed extremely harmful to our health.
According to the recommendation of the American Heart Association (AHA), one must keep his/her dietary pattern in a manner that achieves only 5% to 6% of calories from these saturated fats.
So, as for an example -suppose, your daily requirement is 2000 calories. You can consume a maximum of 120 calories which come from the saturated source.
In other words a maximum of 13 grams per day.
Well, we have learned about “Bad Fat”.Now we will get familiar with “Good Fat”.
Actually, Unsaturated Fats are called “Good/Healthy Fats”.
These unsaturated fats are of 2 types-
Again two types of Polyunsaturated Fats are Omega-3 fat and Omega-6 fat.
Their presence is a must in our daily diet. Because our body cannot synthesize these fats which are extremely important for us.
- Omega-3 fats are very protective against cardiac diseases. They decrease the level of triglyceride and cholesterol in the blood. Thus lowers the blood pressure and decreases the risk of Hypertension, Atherosclerosis, etc.
- Omega-6 fats are actually essential for us in a whole different way. They are usually taken as a replacement of saturated fats.
★Sources of Omega-3 fats:
- Fish(especially sea fish).
- Flax seeds.
- Soyabean oil.
- Pumpkin seeds.
- Dark green vegetables including spinach, kale, mustard greens.
★Sources of Omega -6 fats:
- Flaxseed oil.
- Grapeseed oil.
- Hempseed oil.
- Raw sunflower seed.
- Pignolia (pine) nuts and pistachios.
So from the above discussions, I hope you realized which fats to consume. And also which one to avoid.
Now here is a guideline for low saturated and low cholesterol diet. If you can follow the guideline properly then definitely you will feel the change inside your body.
- Reduce the total intake of oils and fats.
- Avoid stick margarine, butter, cream coconut, and palm oils.
- Avoid mayonnaise, sauces, and gravies, if they are not homemade with very low-fat content.
- Limit your fondness of chocolate.
- Choose low-fat and nonfat products, like mayonnaise with low fat,non-hydrogenated peanut butter, and fat-free gravy.
- Try to use vegetable oil, such as olive oil or canola.
- Choose margarine that is free from trans fatty acids.
- Increase the number of nuts in your diets.
- Carefully read all the ingredient labels to detect both type and amount of fat present in your foods. Limit saturated fats as much as you can.
- Try to avoid convenience and high-fat processed foods.
Meats and Meat Alternatives
- Choose fish, turkey, and chicken over red and lean meats.
- Hav dried beans, lentils, peas.
- Reduce egg yolks to maximum 3-4 per week.
- Try to avoid fatty meats like bacon, franks, sausages, ribs and luncheon meats.
- Must avoid all kinds of organ meats.
- Choose low-fat or non-fat milk, cottage cheese, and yogurt.
- Choose cheeses like mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Because these are made from non-fat milk.
Fruits and Vegetables
- Have a wide variety of vegetables and foods every day.
- Use vinegar and lemon juice on vegetables.
- Reduce the use of oil or fat to vegetables
Pieces of bread, Cereals, and Grains
- Eat whole-grain bread, rice, cereals.
- Avoid snack foods which are rich in fat such as cookies, granola, pies, doughnuts, pastries and croissants.
- Must avoid deep-fried foods.
- Cut visible fat from the meats.
- The skin should be removed from poultry before cooking.
- Drain and discard those fats which drain out of meat after cooking.
- Add very little or better no fat to foods.
- Steam the vegetables.
- Use either natural herbs or no-oil marinades mainly to flavor the foods.
As there is a saying-
“You Are What You Eat”
So, in order to have a healthy body and to lead a healthier life, you must give your body what is more suitable for it.
So the bottom line is “Eat healthy, Live healthy”